We all know that we can cook rice and eat it. But can it be used as an essential beauty product also? The answer is yes!! It can be! Surprising right! But to be honest, it does make a miracle to your hair. The rice water gives a great impact on your hair and mainly for hair loss on regular use.
During the Heian periods in Japan, rice water was used by the royal ladies to wash their hair. It's a fact that these royal women had long, nourished, strong, and fine hair. Its also believed that rinsing hair in rice water was a traditional beauty treatment in many regions in Asia. To prove this to be true, scientists and dermatologists have done some research on it.
They found out that there is one ingredient present in the rice water called Inositol, which can penetrate damaged hair and repair it in the scalp. It also reduces future damage and keeps the hair follicles moist.
To the people who still ask 'Is rice water liquid magic for hair?' here is the answer: yes! the beneficial ingredients in the rice have Anti-Aging and Anti- Inflammatory properties which make the magic come true.
Never thought rice water would have the quality of growing and strengthening your hair. Are you confused about how to make the rice water? or how to use rice water for hair? Don't worry, and it's very simple.
How To Prepare The Rice Water?
The only two ingredients we need are organic uncooked rice and just water.
- One cup of rice.
- One and a half cups of water.
Step One: Take one cup of any organic rice. It can be white, brown, basmati, jasmine, or any organic rice.
Step Two: Take a clean bowl and put the rice in it, and normally, rinse with water and pour it out.
Step Three: Take one cup of water and wash the rice fully. Stir the rice in water until it becomes cloudy.
Step Four: Strain the water from the rice and keep it closed with a lid aside. You can cook the strained rice if you want. Let the strained water ferment from 12 - 24 hours. Or preserve it over the night for fermentation.
Step Five: Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse normally. Next, take the rice water and massage it into your hair and scalp. Let the fermented water for at least 20 minutes on your scalp. Later wash the rice water off with normal water. If you still have the fermented water, fill it in a spray bottle and store it in the fridge for the next time.
Boil the rice in water and strain it. Let the water ferment over the night. In the morning, apply the water to your hair. Massage your scalp for 5-10 minutes. Let it for 20- 30 minutes and rinse it. For better results, do this twice a week.
What Are The Benefits of Using Rice Water?
- You will be amazed to see the benefits of rice water for hair. It not only helps the hair and your scalp to be healthy; alternatively, it is also used on your face. Rice grains are rich in starch (70-80%) and packed with amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. All these saturate when the rice is soaked in water.
- The rice water helps to strengthen your hair and scalp with its high content of starch. If you have dull hair, this starch help to give an extra coat to your hair shaft and strengthens and thickens the hair cuticle.
- It also helps in improving your scalp's health by infusing vitamins and amino acids into your scalp. As a result, it treats your scalp and helps to improve hair growth and one can jealously say that your is healthy hair.
- If you feel any irritation or sense irritated skin, rice water helps in reducing the irritation. In addition, studies have proven that rice water also contains sodium lauryl sulfates, which cures damaged skin or the dry scalp and brings nourishment to the scalp.
- The most wanted benefit is to have shiny hair, and that can be achieved from the rice water. It also helps in reducing split ends and improves the appearance of the hair.
- It also increases manageability, easier to detangle, and also improved the elasticity of the hair. The antioxidant present in the water nourishes the follicles and repairs the damaged cell, which helps in promoting hair growth.
- Even if you have coloured or had any hair treatments and feel your hair is dull, dry, and brittle, rice water does the magic to make it healthier and reduces friction. The starch in the rice water gives an extra coating to your hair, shiny, prevents hair damage and a de-frizzing effect.
- One of the interesting fact about rice water is, its antioxidant properties help to remove the toxins that are accumulated on your scalp and prevent premature alopecia or else known as gray hair or silver hair.
- this fermented rice water generally is used for sensitive scalp or people with sensitive skin also because of its beneficial properties that are non-toxic and non-irritating.
Which Hair Types Can Use Rice Water?
Researchers gave a shred of scientific evidence that rice water is safe for all hair types and even colour-treated hair. The rice water is so mild, contains antioxidant property, and can be used by all skin and hair types. It works very well for dry hair, and curly hair tends to become dry very easily. And so the rice water with the benefit of amino acid helps to strengthen and improve the condition of the hair.
How Often To Use Rice Water?
In all situations, limiting the use of rice water for hair is the best. Constant use of rice water may cause dryness to the scalp. Using rice water twice a week will give the best result. But it depends on your wish. But rice water can nourish and improve your hair thickness.
Is Rice Water Good For The Face?
It is good for your face. Clean your face and apply the rice water all over your face before using any moisturizer. This process will help you seal in the moisture and soften your skin. For better results, do once a day according to your skin type and skincare products you use. the rice water also improves your skin health by softening and brightening.
You can also use rice water as a facial mask and face scrub. Mix the rice water with coconut oil or almond oil, or lavender oil to soothe your skin. You can also mix with Aloe Vera to reduce itching and to improve the skin to become healthier.
(Writer Disclaimer: The best experiment I have ever done to have silky, strong and shinier hair is by rice water. I have got good results, and it improves the quality of the hair. So if you want to have strong and healthy hair, use rice water. The simplest and effective method to get long and thick hair. These are also the traditional ingredients used by Tamil women from South India to get stronger hair. I wrote this article after experimenting with the rice water to wash my hair.)